Stream or download Truth for today #34
II. THE PUBLIC NATURE OF BOAZ’S ACTION.
1. It took place at the city gate. Verse 9.
2. It took place before the elders and people.
3. They were witnesses of it all.
Again, the parallel is clear. Christ was crucified outside the gate, Heb 13:12. The leaders and people were witnesses, Acts 2:23, 36.
III. THE PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE.
I think that it is likely that Ruth would have been sent for to show here consent in the matter, verse 12. This public declaration by Boaz is, in truth, a wedding ceremony.
1. Learn what a wedding service should be like. It was marked by prayer.
2. Learn the purpose of marriage. “The LORD make the woman that is come into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, which two did build the house of Israel,” verse 11. They prayed that Ruth would be a “builder” of the people of God. The house of Judah was the largest of the tribes. “These are the families of Judah according to those that were numbered of them, threescore and sixteen thousand and five hundred,” Numbers 26:22.
But of Christ has sprung a great host. Rev 7:9-17.
3. The prayer was answered. “ . . .and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be famous in Bethlehem:” verse 11. The greater “Builder” of the people of God came of Ruth and was born in Ephratah or Bethlehem, Boaz’s city. Boaz obtained a great name through marrying this poor young widow from Moab. Christ will get Him great glory through His mecy to poor lost sinners. “Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name,” Philippians 2:9. See verse 5-8 for the significance of the word “wherefore.”