Stream or download Truth for Today #29
III. THE RESPONSE OF BOAZ.
1. Remember Boaz was there to guard the corn. Verse 7. Christ stand’s guard over the treasures of His harvest labours. He will keep it from robbers. The only ones who may partake of it are those who come in faith to ask.
2. Startled out of his sleep, he would have spoken interrogatively to Ruth. Matt 15:22-28. So the Lord tests those who come to Him.
3. He commended Ruth’s choice. Verse 10. It is a blessed thing to chose Christ above that which the world may consider more worthy of pursuing. To pursue Christ is the greatest kindness we can bestow upon our family.
4. He grants her a promise of marriage. Verse 11. “And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman,” verse 11. Virtue will be seen even in the midst of poverty and will pay the virtuous well.
5. Immediate action was also promised. “In the morning.” She was told to remain until the morning for it would not have been safe for her to travel at night nor seemly for him to escort her home at such an hour.
6. She went home enriched by her waiting upon Boaz. Verse 14-18.
Ruth is told to wait. “Then said she, Sit still, my daughter, until thou know how the matter will fall: for the man will not be in rest, until he have finished the thing this day,” verse 18. They have not long to wait who bring their needs to Christ and claim from Him their rights under the Covenant of Grace.
“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD,” Psalms 27:14.