Retreating from sin, Pt 3.
Stream or download The Unsearchable Riches of Christ, Pt 63
6. Jesting. How careful we must be even in such a matter as humour. There is that which is allowed or lawful mirth. But it can very quickly degenerate and become offensive to others and to God.
II. NOTE THE SUBTLETY OF SIN INTIMATED.
1. Nature illustrates how sin can begin in a tiny insignificant way only to grow into a raging torrent. The rivers of the world. One snowflake, when joined by others can smother and paralyse the land.
2. The Bible records how sin may begin in a tiny insignificant way only to end in tragedy. The temptation of Eve, The mistake of Cain, Gen 4:3. The greed of Judas.
3. Hell will be filled as a result of sins which began in a tiny insignificant way. Amongst the Hitlers, the Pharaohs, the Judases, the antichrists, there will be sons and daughters of the righteous who were enticed to rejected their parents faith for the lie of the devil.
III. NOTE THE SEPARATION FROM SIN REQUIRED
“Let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints,” verse 3.
1. It is a mark of conversion that our mouths are cleansed. Hosea 2:17; Exodus 23:13; Joshua 23:7. “Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.” Psalms 16:4.
2. We are required to guard our lips. “I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.” Psalms 39:1. “Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.” Psalms 141:3.
3. It is a mark of detestation when a thing is not spoken of. Television has been the chief means of making vileness acceptable, even amongst Christians.
4. How catching is sin when even the speaking of it can prove contagious. As a desire for food may be engendered by a mention of it, so it is with sin.