Paul’s mission to the Gentiles, Pt3
Stream or download The Unsearchable Riches of Christ, Pt 38
III. THE FUNCTION OF THE OFFICE OF A MINISTER
1. The minister is a made man. Verse 7. It is not natural talent that makes a minister but the effectual working of God’s gracious power.
1. It is to preach the unsearchable riches of Christ. The word unsearchable means past finding out, Rom 11 33. Little wonder Paul speaks of himself deprecatingly as he speaks of the glories of the gospel.
2. Though unsearchable yet they must be searched. That is our duty. Being unable to dig up all the gold in the world does not stop men digging for gold! Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD, Hosea 6:3.
3. The gospel ministry is an enlightening, enriching ministry. And to make all men see, verse 9. The word translated make see = photizo (fo-tid’-zo) is the one from which we get photograph, a capturing of an image of light. But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 2 Timothy 1:10. Hebs 10:32. It is to bring sinners in to the fellowship (sharing) of the gospel’s blessings.
The devil is the enemy of such enlightenment, 2 Cor 4:4.
4. The gospel-enlightened church manifests the wisdom of God to the angels. Angels benefit from the preaching of the gospel, verse 10.
5. The more enlightened about the gospel we are, the less tedious are the afflictions we may encounter for its sake. Verse 11-13. We will not faint under tribulation if we grow in enlightenment and knowledge of the unsearchable riches of Christ.