Scripture: “And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold,” Matthew 24:12.
Stream or download Love growing cold
The word ‘many’ appears a number of times in the verses prior to our text.
Vvs. 5, 10, 11. It also appears in verse 30 only there it is translated by the word ‘great’. That helps us understand just what the Saviour is saying of the last days.
A GREAT NUMBER of deceivers will come and will deceive a GREAT NUMBER of people, verse 5.
A GREAT NUMBER will be offended as a result of the great persecution, verse 10.
A GREAT NUMBER of false prophets will succeed in deceiving many, verse 11.
The result of all this deception, persecution and offence is a GREAT NUMBER of believers will grow cold in their love for Christ and His cause!
I. SURELY WE ALL SEE THE ABOUNDING OF INIQUITY TAKING PLACE TODAY.
The word “iniquity” means ‘the overthrowing of the law’. I need hardly illustrate that such has been happening before our eyes.
The word “abound” means “to multiply”. Acts 6:1, 7, 9:31, 12:24. This how this age started but it will end with wickedness abounding. The tide of blessing will go out!
1 The vilest of sins, outlawed by God, have been legalised by men! The world we live in has an utterly different opinion of right and wrong from that of 50 years ago.
2 The level of tolerance amongst believers for such sin has risen! This is alarming! Christians today tolerate the intolerable. John 2:13-17, Gal 4:18.
3 It is accepted without a protest from those who once protested. The FPC is very silent now where once it was very vocal. Our pulpits rang with challenges against ecumenism and modernism. Not so much any longer.
II. IN SUCH AN ATMOSPHERE, ‘WAXING COLD’ WILL TAKE PLACE.
I need hardly illustrate that such has been happening before our eyes. We see it in the:
Attendance at our church services.
Participation in our prayer meetings.
Lack of interest in a carrying out the great commission of Christ.
1. The words “shall wax cold” carry the meaning of “growing cool by blowing.” Something that we all do with our porridge, soup or tea! Look at Rev 12:14-16 and see an example of the devil seeking blowing upon the people of God to “cool” them and turn them from the truth.
2. Cooling is taking place all around us, aye and maybe within us! The cries of the wicked fills the air and creates a cooling wind.
3. It has happened before. Rev 3:14-20. It leads to a withdrawing by the Lord and a deafness and insensitivity to that withdrawal amongst Christians.
Can it be that the Saviour is withdrawing from us?
III. IT CAN ONLY BE REMEDIED BY HEEDING THE SAVIOUR’S WORDS.
1. Recognise the offence such a thing is to Christ. 15-16.
2. Recognise the sinful thinking that has led to such a state. 17.
3. Respond to His counsel. 18-19. It is a call “to do business with Christ.” “Buy – be in the market place.” Christ was engaged in “His Father’s Business.” “Wist ye not that I must be about my Father’s business?” Luke 2:49.
4. Rejoice in the Saviour’s promises and look for their fulfilment. 20-21.
Let us seek to be overcomers again.