Morning message at Tyndale FPC – Lord’s Day 2nd June 2019.
What is sin?
Scripture: 1John 3:4 sin is the transgression of the law
Stream or download What is sin?
Among men there is a great divergence of opinion on this matter. There are as many opinions on what sin is as there are ungodly men. Every man would count himself to be the only authority worth considering. It is a very broad disagreement, touching all matters of life.
Nations differ also. Some permit what others severely punish. That which one society would blush to name another holds aloft as a token of their advancement.
That being so, how are we to decide what sin is?
I. ONLY GOD CAN TELL US WHAT SIN IS?
It is God who decides what sin is. As the Creator and Ruler of all things, He it is which decrees what sin is. He has said that sin is the transgression of the law.
1. Sin is every breach of God’s law. The summary of God’s law is found in the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:3-17. Everything contrary to these is sin. for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Romans 3:20.
2. Every sin then is a defying of God. Sin is rebelling against God’s authority, a refusing to submit to God’s law. It becomes a rival law. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my member,. Romans 7:23.
3. Defiance of God is rooted in self-love. God is refused because self is to be served. It is the rival to God’s throne. Culminates in Man of Sin — II Thess 2:3-4.
Here then is what sin is.
II. SIN IS THAT OF WHICH WE ARE ALL GUILTY
Five verses will provide us with evidence of this.
* for there is no man that sinneth not, I Kings 8:46.
* For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not, Eccles 7:20.
* For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God, Rom 3:23.
* If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us, I John 1:8.
* If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us, I John 1:10.
Add to these words the experience of all men and it will be seen that all sin.
III. SIN IS THE CAUSE OF ALL MAN’S MISERIES
1. It has made us enemies of God. He who made us in His likeness that we might enjoy Him forever, we treat as an enemy. What was said to Saul may be said to us all. Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy? 1 Sam. 28:16. We love the world and so become God’s enemies. whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. James 4:4.
2. It has robbed us of paradise. And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life. Rev 21:27.
3. It has made us subject to death. in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Gen 2:17. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: Rom 5:12.
4. It has made us liable to eternal damnation. Rev 20:11-15.
IV. SIN IS THAT FOR WHICH THERE IS NO EARTHLY ANSWER
Man has tried to cease from sin whenever he begins to taste the bitterness of its fruits. But he cannot. Many generations have believed themselves to have found the means of establishing again the paradise they lost through sin, but they had not. Communism, socialism etc. Man dreams and speaks of yet establishing such a kingdom, but he shall not. The Bible gives us a picture of the future of man and it is one that is worse rather than better. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. II Tim 3:13.
While man has no answer God has. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Rom 6:23. I John 3:5.
Jesus has accomplished the work He came to do.
1. He took away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. John 1:29, Gal 1:4, Tit 2:14, Hebs 10:12.
2. He gives victory over sin while we live on this earth. V. 6, 9-10.
3. He will gloriously deliver us from all trace of sin when He brings us to Heaven. verse 2.