From foreigners to fellow-citizens, Pt2
Scripture: Eph 2:11-13.
Stream or download The unsearchable riches of Christ, Pt29
II. WHEN WE REMEMBER OUR FORMER CONDITION, WE WILL SEE IT TO BE THE SAME AS THE EPHESIANS.
We were Gentiles and without Christ.
1. We were without Christ. That is, “outside of Christ.” We were not part of Him or in touch with Him. We were in the place of danger and damnation.
2. We were aliens from the commonwealth of Israel. Israel was the people of God and we were outside of that commonwealth or community.
3. We were strangers to the covenants of promise. We were foreigners, having no part in the covenant of grace. It is called covenants (plural) because it was so often renewed and published to new generations in ancient times (Adam, Abraham, David etc.). We were ignorant of the promise contained in that covenant for we were strangers to it all. What is the covenant? “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him,” John 3:36.
4. We were without hope. Being cut off from God, His people and His gospel, we were without hope for eternity.
5. We were without God. We had religion but not God! Note the words “in the world.” The unconverted sinner is alone in this world. Without guide or comfort; without direction or knowledge; without friend or companion. Without God.
What a dreadfully destitute state to be in
Such were we when Christ in mercy saved us.
How can we ever forget that this was so?
III. OUR DELIVERANCE FROM THIS DREADFUL STATE WAS BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.
“But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ,” Eph 2:13.
“For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God,” 1 Peter 3:18.
We owe all to Christ and His death at Calvary.