Scripture: Eph 2:4-7.
Stream or download The Unsearchable Riches of Christ, Pt23
Having considered the lost estate in which we as sinners were born, Paul takes us on to consider the change God wrought and how it was God delivered us from such a dreadful condition. The Christian has had a spiritual resurrection.
I. The author of man’s salvation is God.
1. Can we ever emphasis this truth sufficiently? It is the chief of errors for man to believe that he is the author of his own redemption. (Article on salvation – RC Church).
Chief for it was the first manifestation of man’s sinfulness, Genesis 4:3, the labour of man’s hand brought as a sacrifice. Chief for it is to this error man every reverts. Chief for it is universal.
2. This error is the greatest hindrance to conversion. As long as man feels that he controls this matter he will not heed God’s warnings and exhortations.
3. This error is the last to be overcome in the sinner’s heart. This sin keeps the sinner hard and unbowed. It must be overcome before there is a bending of the knee before Christ.
This man must learn before he can be saved.
II. SALVATION SPRINGS FROM GOD’S LOVE AND GRACE.
If it is not of man then it must be of God and that unmerited and undeserved.
1. Love is the foundation of God’s plan of salvation. Love is the fountain, the spring of all that God undertook to do for His elect. John 3:16; 1 John 4:10; Titus 3:4.
2. He graciously undertook the work of redemption. Out of His love sprang His free unmerited plan of deliverance, verses 5, 8.
3. His rich mercy in Christ was the result. His benevolent action toward the sinner sprang from His love and grace. Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost, Titus 3:5.