Effectual Calling Pt 2.
Scripture : Ephesians 1:8-9.
Stream or download The unsearchable riches of Christ #7
II. GOD ALSO IMPARTS THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIS WILL TO THE ONE HE WOULD SAVE.
1. God’s will is a mystery to sinful men. It is a hidden things, shut away from his sight. Hence the religious ignorance of men. Acts 17:22-23. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given, Matthew 13:11. Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, Colossians 1:26,27.
2. His will is revealed through the Holy Scriptures. Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith, Romans 16:25-26. 2 Tim 3:15-6.
3. The work of teaching and convincing is that of the Holy Spirit. Shorter Cat. Q. 31. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you, John 16:14. 1 Cor 2:7-11.
III. IN CALLING HIS ELECT, GOD SUPPLIES ALL WISDOM AND PRUDENCE.
Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence. The enlightened sinner is made wise. 2 Tim 3:15-16.
1. The sinner is made to understand. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light, 1 Peter 2:9.
2. The sinner is made to act wisely and prudently. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him, John 6:44. This the first wise act of the sinner’s life.
3. Thus God accomplishes His will in us. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure, Philippians 2:13.