Scripture: Hebrews 11:20-22 “By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff. By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones,” .
Stream or download Bright and shining lights in the Bible #23
We only were able to look at verse 20 last week so we will continue our study of the other two verses today.
I. JACOB FOLLOWED THE EXAMPLE OF HIS FATHER, ISAAC, WHEN HE CAME TO DIE.
1. He spoke to his sons of ‘things to come’! “And Jacob called unto his sons, and said, Gather yourselves together, that I may tell you that which shall befall you in the last days. Gather yourselves together, and hear, ye sons of Jacob; and hearken unto Israel your father,” Genesis 49:1-2.
The future was very much in the minds of this godly man and he would have his sons to consider such things.
2. He imparted a blessing to his grandsons. He was desirous of their spiritual wellbeing right to the end!
3. He died, not in fear, but in loving reverence of God. That is what the word ‘worshipped’ means.
4. His earthly strength was gone. He was leaning on his staff.
II. JOSEPH LIKEWISE DIED BELIEVING IN ‘THINGS TO COME’.
1. He spoke of God’s promise. He had an awareness of God’s plan for the future of His people.It is good for fathers to make mention of God’ promise to His people. He is going to take them out of ‘Egypt’ to the ‘promised land’ of Heaven one day.
2. He commanded that they take his bones with them and burying him in Canaan. This indicates the firmness of his faith.