Stream or download The unsearchable riches of Christ #4
The unsearchable riches of Christ
Christ — God’s treasure Chest
Scripture: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual
blessings in heavenly places in Christ, Ephesians 1:3.
Stream or download The unsearchable riches of Christ #3
Even in his praises, Paul is a teacher and a theologian. This statement is filled with gospel substance and content.
Let me say a word about praise. This word of rejoicing stands at the very threshold of the epistle and so reminds us that in entering into an understanding of the gospel we are moved to bless and praise God. Heaven is all that we expect it to be and more because it is a place where we enter into the full knowledge of the Lord.
Our praises should be doctrinal. By that I mean that a right understanding of the doctrines of God’s Word will open our mouth in praise and right praise will be framed in doctrinal language.
Modern gospel songs are mushy sentimentality because this is a day in which doctrine is despised. Praises centred upon the doctrines of the gospel may be sung again and again with freshness.
Consider the words of our text.
I. PAUL PRAISES GOD FOR GOSPEL BLESSINGS
1. He traces gospel blessings to their source. God the Father, Who hath blessed us. Paul is enlarging on what he said in the previous verse.
2. The act of blessing is in the past tense. God purposed in eternity to bless His people and it shall be done. Our blessings, being willed by God, are secure.
3. The fullness of the blessing. All blessings. Although my house be not so with God; yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not to grow, 2 Samuel 23:5. There is nothing lacking. Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage, Matthew 22:4.
4. The nature of the blessings. Spiritual. God’s blessing is essentially spiritual. Man desires earthly and carnal blessings and ignores all thoughts of spiritual values.
5. Location of the blessings. In heavenly places. How rich is the man that cultivates a heavenly furrow and how vain is it to look for riches amidst earth’s dust!
6. The depository of the blessings. In Christ. It is to Him we must go for the Father’s blessings. He is our Joseph. And when all the land of Egypt was famished, the people cried to Pharaoh for bread: and Pharaoh said unto all the Egyptians, Go unto Joseph; what he saith to you, do, Genesis 41:55.
II. THE PURPOSE OF GOD THROUGH THE GOSPEL
Blessed us. These words contain the purpose of God. He would bless His people.
1. How old is that purpose. Verse 4.
2. How glorious is that purpose. 2:6.
3. How costly was that purpose. The cost was the blood of Christ, verse 7.