We last considered how that God had revealed to us the mystery of His will through the gospel of Christ, verse 9 (1 Cor 2:7-10). Now we come to what is at the heart of God’s purpose. That purpose is stated in verse 10. He might gather together in one all things. The phrase means to bring together again. Sin is a scatterer, a bringer of disorder. It scattered God’s order in creation and it is God’s purpose to gather that which was scattered together again.
Consider what these verses teach us regarding this gathering together again of all things.
I. THEY ARE GATHERED AGAIN THROUGH CHRIST
1. Christ is God’s Gatherer. The marring of Creation through sin is far above our understanding. Christ undertook the gathering of that scattered together again. Man has his plan to gather together. It was seen at the Tower of Babel, Gen 11:9 and in the modern Ecumenical movement and the future apostasy under Antichrist. But this is a gathering in REBELLION. Christ will gather through RECONCILIATION. And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven, Colossians 1:20.
2. His work of redemption will have far-reaching results. Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature, Colossians 1:15. That is: He is the source of life for all of redeemed creation. See Rom 8:19-23; 1 Cor 15:22-29; Rev 21:1-6.
3. Through Christ, paradise is regained. In the Garden of Eden, God walked with Adam and Eve. Earth and Heaven will again walk in harmony. How ignorant of heavenly things this earth is! Angels, saints in heaven etc, are a frightening mystery because of man’s sinful ignorance. Christ will bring about AGAIN a harmonising of all creation.
II. GOD ALSO IMPARTS THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIS WILL TO THE ONE HE WOULD SAVE.
1. God’s will is a mystery to sinful men. It is a hidden things, shut away from his sight. Hence the religious ignorance of men. Acts 17:22-23. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given, Matthew 13:11. Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, Colossians 1:26,27.
2. His will is revealed through the Holy Scriptures. Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, but now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith, Romans 16:25-26. 2 Tim 3:15-6.
3. The work of teaching and convincing is that of the Holy Spirit. Shorter Cat. Q. 31. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you, John 16:14. 1 Cor 2:7-11.
III. IN CALLING HIS ELECT, GOD SUPPLIES ALL WISDOM AND PRUDENCE.
Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence. The enlightened sinner is made wise. 2 Tim 3:15-16.
1. The sinner is made to understand. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light, 1 Peter 2:9.
2. The sinner is made to act wisely and prudently. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him, John 6:44. This the first wise act of the sinner’s life.
3. Thus God accomplishes His will in us. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure, Philippians 2:13.