1. She reported back to Naomi. Verse 18, she showed her the respect due to a mother.
2. She thought of Noami during her labours. “She . . gave to her that she had reserved after she was sufficed,” verse 18. The word “sufficed” links her giving to the meal in the field, verse 14. She was thinking of Naomi as she enjoyed Baoz’s kindness and provision. She who was hard-working in the fields was kind-hearted in the home.
3. They both rejoiced at God’s provision. So it aught to be with us all and even more so as we enjoy a greater measure of bounty than did these women.
“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters,” Psalm 23:2.
“He turneth the wilderness into a standing water, and dry ground into watersprings. And there he maketh the hungry to dwell, that they may prepare a city for habitation; and sow the fields, and plant vineyards, which may yield fruits of increase,” Psalm 107:35-37.
We were considering: That there is no area of Bible knowledge today about which God’s people are more confused and deluded than that of the end times.
We think back to the blindness of the people when Christ first came to this world and we can see how it would suit the devil if he could repeat that deception.
“He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not,” John 1:10-11.
The words of the Saviour in this parable tells us that to a large measure, that deception will be repeated. There is a great alteration in the state of alertness of the church as depicted in verse 1 and that of the verse 5.
Sleep will overtake the Church Christ says. Sleep is a caring for the body. Such will be the occupation of men in the last days. Matt 24:37-39.
Even Christians are very much caught up with the pampering of the body today!! It is a £multi-billion industry!
It was not so with the early church. It was awake and waiting!
Rom 8:19. “For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.”
Php 3:20. “For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.”
It may be easily understood that it would suit the devil’s cause very well indeed if we can be deceived and deluded with regards God’s will. After all, that was the essence of the very first temptation. We are told that the serpent beguiled Eve through his craftiness. It was Paul’s concern that the Corinthians might not be likewise beguiled, 2 Corinthians 11:3.
I believe that there is no area of Bible knowledge today about which God’s people are more confused and deluded than that of the end times.
We considered just how it is that the Lord seeks to teach us of the approach of His return.
We talked a little of the swallows and the hawthorne tree and how they tell us summer is coming. Likewise the Lord has given us signs of the nearness of His return.
This is a subject very dear to the Saviour. That is evident in the many references that He makes to the His return.
Furthermore, it may be seen in the many references He had His prophets make to His return.
“Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began,” Acts 3:21.
Note Peter says all of His ‘holy prophets’! Just how important this subject is.
* We must watch for the signs given us be like unto the watchful householder as he guards his property against the thief, verse 43. Where there is danger we watch carefully! There is a danger that we may be carried away by carelessness and fail to rightly watch and wait for Christ’s return.
The Lord Jesus was ever warning sinners of hell, verses 10-13.
This parable is all about understanding the times in which we live.
I believe that it is the privilege of God’s people to share in a knowledge of God’s present purpose on this earth and what He purposes to do in the future. Furthermore, He desires to share this knowledge with the boys and girls who take the time to read and pray over His Word.
* In Matt 24:32, our observance of the prophetic times is paralleled with our telling of the earthly seasons by what we may observe with our eye.
* The time of the end will be observable because it will see a repeat of what happened before in the days of Noah as judgment drew near, 37-39.